Catfish Groves, the 3rd Year

Friday, October 06, 2006

My adventures with EMS

I learned a new word today -- "p - a - r - a - m - e - d - i - c - s." That's what Mommy called them, but they called themselves "EMS."

They come after the fire department, who are the "first responders."

They all will come to your house -- all half-dozen of them -- if you launch yourself off your Mommy and Daddy's bed while Mommy is bending over to pick up your socks.

We were going to go for a walk in my stroller to see if I would fall asleep and because it was so nice and cool outside. But because it was cool I needed socks. Well, Mommy took her hand off me to get my socks and I don't know what I was thinking but I guess I got excited. Next thing I know I'm on the floor. (By the way, if you've never seen my Mommy and Daddy's bed, it's a really tall four-poster.)

It was all a little confused after that. I cried so hard when Mommy was on the phone that she couldn't hear what the dispatcher was telling her. She just got me to stop crying when the strange people got here. They leaned over me and held my head so I couldn't move it, and boy, did that make me mad. I started crying again and wasn't about to stop for anything, so I couldn't hear everything, but a few things came through:
* Is crying like that normal for him?
* Does he ever use a pacifier?
* How old is he? Four months?! Whoa, he's a BIG boy!
* Well, his spine's definitely ok judging from how he's kicking around.

Then the paramedics, I mean EMS, got there. One guy kind of took charge. He said,
* How old is he? Wow, he's a BIG boy!
* Does he have a pacifier that he uses? (Mommy explained again that giving me a pacifier would just make me madder.)

Pretty quickly he determined that I was probably ok. Babies fall all the time, he said, and our bones are still soft so we're very resilient. Especially if we fall on carpet. (One of the other EMTs said her kids fell all the time when they were babies!) Before they left he asked to see where I fell from. "D*&n! That's a high bed!" he said and then we were back to deciding if I should go to the hospital.

Mommy is still worried, but eventually they just told Mommy to keep an eye on me and that I'd probably be fine. I hope so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home