Catfish Groves, the 3rd Year

Saturday, September 30, 2006

What's "willful?"

Whatever it is, Mommy and Daddy use that word a lot to describe me. "Sweet but willful," Mommy pronounced when I was just a few hours old and she apparently hasn't changed her mind. I don't know what they could be talking about, but here are some of the times they use the term:

When I was still in Mommy's womb, I liked to swim all around. Uncle Jack called it "the lava lamp;" usually around 11 pm the floor show would start and I'd really get rippling. But as soon as Daddy turned the video camera on, I'd freeze. He'd film for several minutes and sometimes I'd make a half-hearted kick or two, but when he finally gave up and I heard the "ding" of the camera turning off, back I'd start again! LOL

I still like to make people work for it. Mommy has been describing to Grandma and Grandpa Salyers how I like to talk and sing now. Every time I start to orate, she calls them but by the time the phone connects I'm not happy anymore and all they hear is me fussing. The other day Mommy talked to Grandma on the phone for 90 minutes hoping that I'd relent and make some noise; nope!

I also don't like these attempts Mommy and Daddy are making lately at putting me to sleep at set times. I must make a stand for babies everywhere -- "I shall not be, I shall not be scheduled . . . ." I only like to fall asleep while nursing, or while being bouncey-walked for a half hour or so, preferably while also being patted and sung to. Mommy thinks if she lies down with me every day at the same time, I will eventually come to expect and even anticipate nap time. I must not soften! So far I have resisted the pull of the comfy bed and screamed for at least 30 minutes each time before falling asleep. I only hope that I can continue to uphold the cause. Why don't these people understand? If you fall asleep, you might miss something!

Come to think of it, Aunt Cindy also used that word, "willful," when she came to visit me at 7 weeks. When I would (very reasonably) voice my outrage about some indignity, she would translate: "Will is being thwarted . . . will is being thwarted!" Well, if expressing my opinions and wanting things my way is willful, so be it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home