Catfish Groves, the 3rd Year

Sunday, October 22, 2006

A BIG week


Lots of milestones this week! First off, here is the most recent picture of me, taken by Grandma and Grandpa Mago yesterday (October 21, 2006) - 9 days shy of 5 months old.

As you can see, I haven't lost any weight! Look at those cheeks! On the other hand, I don't think I've gained much either - not more than a pound at most, so that puts me between 20 and 21 pounds. Mommy's trying to hold me back so I will be able to fit into my Christmas suit that Grandma bought me. But really I think I'm slowing down on my own; I was just getting ready for the cold weather.

Now for my milestones: I've always gotten my fist or various fingers in my mouth from time to time. But this week, I started reliably getting a thumb in my mouth, when I'm trying to fall asleep or after I eat. So if I end up sucking my thumb, we'll be able to say it started the beginning of this week.

Tuesday (10/17) Mommy sat up my Thomas the Tank Engine train set that her friend Carol and Carol's son Shane gave us. I liked to watch her run the train around and around the track (but I got impatient when she went too fast and it derailed). Mommy sat me up in the floor and I stayed there! Grandma and Grandpa Mago have been helping me sit up in the couch at their house for ages, but this was the first time I sat up unassisted! It doesn't last long; I have a tendency to hurl myself backward when I get excited or exasperated. But I've been practicing all this week. Here's a picture of me sitting up on Grandma's couch yesterday; I'm sure you'll be seeing more sitting pics soon!

Also this week, I started scooting! Only thing is, I go backwards, not forwards. This is really frustrating, because I'm trying to get to the toys in front of me, and instead I get further away! Mommy and Daddy think it's just great, though.

My two most recent milestones happened just today (Sunday Oct. 22). First, I've been watching Mommy run that train around the track all week long. So this afternoon, she balanced the train on the top of the bridge and I pushed it down so it zoomed partway around the track. We did it over and over. It didn't make me smile; although I was pleased, I was more intent than anything. I really studied the train after I pushed it down. (I also learned to grab the weight at the bottom of the wind chimes and swing the clapper to make them ring this week - that dexterity thing is NOT overrated!)

Finally, this evening, Mommy stood me up and put my hands on the seat of the armchair in the living room - - and I stayed there! I stood up supporting myself on the chair several times (getting "caught" when I lost my balance and starting over) - the longest standing streak was about 1/2 a minute (ok, 25 seconds; Mommy timed it).

Wow, what a week! I've got to go to bed and get some rest; who knows what tomorrow will bring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home